About Greater Chicago Midwest HERC
The Greater Chicago Midwest HERC ("GCM HERC") is a collaborative response of our member institutions to the challenges of recruiting and retaining talented and diverse faculty and staff. The GCM HERC was founded in 2007 by Northwestern University, the University of Illinois at Chicago, Argonne National Laboratory, Fermilab and the University of Chicago.
Our distinguished members are colleges and universities, and medical, cultural and research institutions located in the region. Our current member list is available here.
Process and Fees
- Institutions pay to join GCM HERC. Once an organization joins, all of its employees are eligible to post jobs and attend GCM HERC conferences, networking events, and webinars for free.
- There are no fees for job seekers.
What We Do
GCM HERC offers resources to employers seeking talented and diverse employees, and to job seekers looking for work.
Benefits For Job Seekers
- A comprehensive job board with faculty, staff and executive jobs regionally and nationally in all functional areas, from accountant through zoology professor
- Dual career search function
- Receive customized emailed job alerts
- Free training: Webinars and other career help from experts. Topics include cover letter writing, networking, and converting resumes to CVs and CVs to resumes.
- Learn more about the arts and culture of the greater Chicago area
- Extensive relocation resources
- Resume database for employers to search
Benefits For Employers
- Post an unlimited number of positions at no extra cost
- Reach highly talented and diverse job seekers
- Share successful methods and best practices for addressing recruitment and retention issues, including issues related to partner placement and diversity
- Meet and network with other faculty and staff
- Use website thumbnails to highlight your institution (no added fee)
- Attend training conferences and webinars on topics that have included “Best Practices in Diversity Recruiting,” “Developing Faculty and Staff Mentoring Programs” and “Employing Veterans.” Programs are free to employees at member institutions. Many programs include HRCI and SHRM credits.
- Use HERC for your dual career initiatives. Include information about HERC in recruitment packets and use the GCM HERC network to help find positions for accompanying partners
- Extensive relocation resources and links for special populations
- We can be where you are not: We attend special job fairs for veterans and other groups representing all of our members
Employers: For information about joining, contact Sarah Levy, Greater Chicago Midwest HERC Director.
Follow HERC Regionally
Greater Chicago Midwest HERC includes Northern and Central Illinois, SE Wisconsin and NW/Central Indiana.
Featured Member Institutions