Commitment to Dual-Career
Addressing the needs of dual-career couples is of critical importance when colleges and universities seek to recruit and retain the most outstanding and diverse faculty and administrators.
Work and family considerations, specifically dual-career concerns, influence candidates' decisions when searching for and considering a job. The decision to accept a job frequently becomes contingent upon an offer of job search assistance and opportunities for the accompanying partner.
Helping dual-career couples is a central part of HERC's mission. HERC is the only organization in the U.S. to systematically address dual-career concerns on a nationwide scale. HERC's work has been recognized by the American Council on Education, the American Association of University Professors, the American Psychological Association, Diverse: Issues in Higher Education, Stanford University's Clayman Institute for Gender Research and National Public Media's "Marketplace".
Recent research shows that 72% of faculty members have employed partners. (Michelle R. Clayman Institute for Gender Research, L. Schiebinger, A. Henderson, S. Gilmartin, Dual-career Academic Couples: What Universities Need to Know Stanford: 2008).
What HERC Offers Dual-Career Jobseekers
- Access to the most comprehensive list jobs at institutions within a commutable distance.
- State-of-the-art dual-career search technology.
- Comprehensive lists of article, research, and links to campuses that have dual-career programs and policies.
What HERC Offers Member Institutions
- A referral source to the HERC website for candidates with partners.
- Dual-career materials to include in candidate recruitment packets.
- A member network to collaborate on dual-career appointments.
- Conferences and webinars for member institutions on best practices for dual-career programs, policies, and practices.
"Becoming a member of HERC was one of the best recruitment-related decisions our institution has made. The benefits are enormous and, most surprising, the membership costs less than a standard display ad. By posting on HERC’s website and utilizing the fantastic features of One Click, we have streamlined our process, eliminated the need for an advertising agency and have taken advantage of discounts offered by several sources. In addition, the free webinars, networking opportunities and professional support offered by HERC are priceless."Share Your HERC Story