Vision, Mission, Programs & History
To promote equity and excellence in higher education recruitment worldwide.
HERC advances the ability of member institutions to recruit and retain the most diverse and talented workforce and to assist dual-career couples.
HERC’s mission is accomplished through the following:
- Comprehensive regional and national higher education jobs websites
- Member collaboration on facilitating dual-career employment and state-of-the art dual-career search technology
- Partnerships with associations, societies, and publications that serve women and minorities
- National advertising campaigns to promote the HERC websites
- Conference attendance to reach out to women and minority jobseekers with a special emphasis on STEM professionals
- Professional development opportunities for members, including regional member conferences and webinars
- HERC member discounts with key higher education vendors
The Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (HERC) was founded in the spring of 2000 by colleges and universities in Northern California that sought ways to collaborate on addressing dual-career and employment outreach challenges at their campuses. HERC was established as a member governed non-profit, 501(c)3 organization.
Based on HERC's success, since then, HERC’s have developed in 17 additional regions, representing over 700 institutions throughout the United States. A central coordinating office was established in 2007.
"Becoming a member of HERC was one of the best recruitment-related decisions our institution has made. The benefits are enormous and, most surprising, the membership costs less than a standard display ad. By posting on HERC’s website and utilizing the fantastic features of One Click, we have streamlined our process, eliminated the need for an advertising agency and have taken advantage of discounts offered by several sources. In addition, the free webinars, networking opportunities and professional support offered by HERC are priceless."Share Your HERC Story