Disability Inclusion Toolkit
When it comes to ensuring a workplace inclusive of the skills and talents of people with disabilities, however, not all HERC members may know where to start. The HERC Disability Inclusion Toolkit provides a path, addressing 8 important topics and outlining a range of effective strategies higher education institutions can use to effectively employ qualified people with disabilities and foster a disability-inclusive work culture across the organization.
The information in this toolkit will be updated periodically, and HERC members are highly encouraged to suggest additional resources to add, especially as they relate to disability inclusive policies and practices in action at their own institutions.
To learn more click here.
The HERC Disability Inclusion Toolkit is an outcome of HERC’s Alliance with the U. S. Department of Labor’s Office of Disability Employment Policy (ODEP)6.10.16. Through this Alliance, HERC works closely with ODEP to promote the recruitment, hiring, retention and advancement of individuals with disabilities, including veterans with disabilities, in higher education through outreach, education and technical assistance activities.
The material and information contained in this toolkit is for general information purposes only and is not designed to take the place of HERC member legal counsel or guidance.
The Employer Toolkit from the Burton Blatt Institute at Syracuse University helps employers with inclusive culture, policies, practices, management, hiring, retention, accommodation and advancement of individuals with disabilities. (HERC Member Institution)
Return to Work Toolkit
The Return-to-Work Toolkit helps both employers and employees understand the return-to-work process and provides resources to assist getting employees back on the job quickly and smoothly.
Workplace Flexibility Toolkit
The Workplace Flexibility Toolkit provides a wealth of information on a universal strategy that can meet the needs of employers and their employees by examining the time (when), location (where) and manner (how) in which an employee works. Related resources include the Flexible Work Arrangements Fact Sheet and Business Case for Workplace Flexibility.
The resources in this toolkit will support you at different steps in the recruiting process. HERC recommends that before you begin your search, the search committee chair or recruiting manager refer to one of the search guides referenced below. These guides touch on all aspects of the search, with an emphasis on creating an effective process and minimizing bias. Topics such as forming and leading a search committee, advertising positions, sourcing minority candidates, and evaluating applicants are covered and are applicable at all types of institutions.
- Searching for Excellence & Diversity: A Guide for Search Committees. Women in Science and Engineering Leadership (WISELI), University of Wisconsin, Madison. See this page for ordering the guide and for related on-line resources.
- Sample search checklist, University of St. Thomas
Recruiting Applicants (with an emphasis on diversity)
- Watch webinars (live and recorded).
- Capitalize on partnerships/discounts with organizations that serve graduate students and postdocs and host lists of doctoral students. Note: The WISELI booklet also contains lists of directories of minority doctoral candidates.
- Example: The Southern Regional Education Board’s State Doctoral Scholars Program supports minority Ph.D. students who are pursuing higher education careers. HERC members receive a discount on access to the 1,000-student directory.
- Check the CV/resume data base to identify candidates.
- Connect with job seekers on social media sites.
- To learn more about veteran outreach, click here.
- Monitor how many people are viewing and forwarding your position announcements.* Your institution may have a relationship with an advertising agency that can help you format your announcement in a way that will make the position sound more appealing or better highlight the advantages of working at your institution.
- Enhance your member profile on the HERC website to better highlight your institution.
Powered by HERC Leadership SmartBrief
- 19 Jul 2018 12:28:55 CDThttp://www.smartbrief.com/branded/2C38068E-E325-4E2A-945A-692BD5A52313/BE6EA0F7-2390-4559-B82F-3D0378678B3C
- 19 Jul 2018 12:28:55 CDThttp://www.smartbrief.com/branded/2C38068E-E325-4E2A-945A-692BD5A52313/1DE46024-916B-4880-A2FA-F653B2317991
- 19 Jul 2018 12:28:55 CDThttp://www.smartbrief.com/branded/2C38068E-E325-4E2A-945A-692BD5A52313/6B865E57-92A0-4B27-84A3-8468EFA7094F
- 19 Jul 2018 12:28:55 CDThttp://www.smartbrief.com/branded/2C38068E-E325-4E2A-945A-692BD5A52313/503448C6-D14D-4C53-874A-C56EFFCAB959