Dual Career Portal
Helping dual-career couples is a central part of SoCal HERC’s mission.
Research has shown that 72% of faculty members have employed partners. (Michelle R. Clayman Institute for Gender Research, L. Schiebinger, A. Henderson, S. Gilmartin, Dual-career Academic Couples: What Universities Need to Know Stanford: 2008).
HERC's member institutions know that dual-career concerns influence candidates' decisions when searching for and considering a job. The decision to accept a job frequently becomes contingent upon an offer of job search assistance and opportunities for your accompanying partner.
What SoCal HERC Offers Dual-Career Jobseekers
- Access to the most comprehensive list of jobs at institutions within a commutable distance.
- Eldercare near your target institution.
- Recreation, Arts, and Entertainment information near campus of interest.
- Schools and childcare information.
- Job search resources around your target institution.
- Dual-career search technology that enables you to search for jobs that meet both you and your partner's job search criteria.
- A library of articles, research, and studies on the dual-career topic.
- Links to institutions that have dual-career programs and policies.
- Jobseeker webinars on dual-career subjects
Southern California HERC covers Central Coast, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, and San Diego.
Powered by HERC Jobseeker SmartBrief
- Women just graduating from college can boost their job search by contacting people working in desired fields and asking for information on job openings or other referrals, workplace issues expert Holly Caplan writes. Candidates also should write thank you notes to anyone who has helped them and clean up social media accounts to appear more professional, she advises. Ladders (6/23)25 Jun 2018 13:16:29 CDThttps://www.theladders.com/career-advice/from-campus-to-career-5-tips-to-stand-out-during-the-job-search
- Your resume summary shows what you can offer a role or organization, and it should paint a picture of the type of worker you are, career coach Lynn Carroll says. Keep it brief to no more than three sentences, include relevant keywords that are applicable to the company and role, and use descriptive language. Glassdoor (6/22)25 Jun 2018 13:16:29 CDThttps://www.glassdoor.com/blog/resume-summary/
- Houston Chronicle (tiered subscription model) (6/22)25 Jun 2018 13:16:29 CDThttps://blog.chron.com/careerrescue/2018/06/ace-a-30-minute-interview/
- A Society for Human Resource Management survey found 35% of employers offered paid maternity leave in 2018, an increase from 26% in 2016, while paid paternity leave increased from 21% to 29%. The survey of more than 3,500 human resources professionals showed 34% of organizations increased benefits over the past year, including telecommuting and company-organized fitness challenges. Employee Benefit News (free registration) (6/22)25 Jun 2018 13:16:29 CDThttps://www.benefitnews.com/news/employers-zero-in-on-paid-parental-leave