Dual Career Resources
Helping dual-career couples is a central part of HERC’s mission.
Recent research has shown that 72% of faculty members have employed partners. (Michelle R. Clayman Institute for Gender Research, L. Schiebinger, A. Henderson, S. Gilmartin, Dual-career Academic Couples: What Universities Need to Know Stanford: 2008).
HERC's member institutions know that dual-career concerns influence candidates' decisions when searching for and considering a job. The decision to accept a job frequently becomes contingent upon an offer of job search assistance and opportunities for your accompanying partner.
What HERC Offers Dual-Career Jobseekers
- Access to the most comprehensive list jobs at institutions within a commutable distance.
- State-of-the-art dual-career search technology.
- A comprehensive list of articles, research, and links to campuses that have dual-career programs and policies.
- Dual-career search technology that enables you to search for jobs that meet both you and your partner's job search criteria.
- A library of articles, research, and studies on the dual-career topic.
- Links to institutions that have dual-career programs and policies.
- Jobseeker webinars on dual-career subjects
Follow HERC Regionally
Powered by HERC Jobseeker SmartBrief
- When you can't seem to generate interest from employers despite having the necessary experience and skills, it may be time to work with a career coach, writes Karla Miller. "A career coach can help refine your resume and outreach messages and get more mileage out of your LinkedIn account -- for example, making yourself visible to well-connected recruiters and other professionals who can warm up cold contacts for you," Miller writes. The Washington Post (tiered subscription model) (10/19)20 Oct 2017 12:47:29 CDThttps://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/magazine/how-to-perfect-the-personal-pitch/2017/10/17/504b47c4-9ed5-11e7-8ea1-ed975285475e_story.html
- When it comes to work-life balance, there's no one size that fits all. You may be happier when you come to terms with the fact that you prefer juggling your roles throughout the day or blending your work activities with the rest of your life, writes Andy Molinsky. Psychology Today (10/14)20 Oct 2017 12:47:29 CDThttps://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/adaptation/201710/want-be-happier-ditch-the-work-life-balance-metaphor
- CNNMoney (10/19)20 Oct 2017 12:47:29 CDThttp://money.cnn.com/2017/10/19/pf/grad-school-worth-it/index.html
- Sen. Dick Durbin, D-Ill., and Sen. Al Franken, D-Minn., have introduced legislation that would make university adjunct instructors eligible for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program. The part-time status of contingent faculty currently makes them ineligible for the program. Diverse: Issues In Higher Education (10/19)20 Oct 2017 12:47:29 CDThttp://diverseeducation.com/article/103585/
Featured Member Institutions