The resources in this toolkit will support you at different steps in the recruiting process. HERC recommends that before you begin your search, the search committee chair or recruiting manager refer to one of the search guides referenced below. These guides touch on all aspects of the search, with an emphasis on creating an effective process and minimizing bias. Topics such as forming and leading a search committee, advertising positions, sourcing minority candidates, and evaluating applicants are covered and are applicable at all types of institutions.
- Searching for Excellence & Diversity: A Guide for Search Committees. Women in Science and Engineering Leadership (WISELI), University of Wisconsin, Madison. See this page for ordering the guide and for related on-line resources. These resources were presented to UMW HERC members at the April 2015 search committee training event. If a representative from your institution attended the training, he/she received a copy of the guide.
- “Best Practices for Conducting Faculty Searches,” Harvard University
- Sample search checklist, University of St. Thomas
Recruiting Applicants (with an emphasis on diversity)
- Take advantage of advertising discounts in minority and general publications and in regional minority publications.
- Example: MinorityPostdoc.org offers a 10% discount to new HERC customers.
- Watch webinars (live and recorded) or attend membership meetings (upcoming, past recordings) offering suggestions on where and how to recruit and retain minority and general candidates.
- Example: “The Diversity Advantage: Incorporating Diversity Principles into the Search Committee Process,” presented by Dr. Christopher D. Lee, Associate Vice Chancellor, Human Resource Services, Virginia Community College System
- Capitalize on partnerships/discounts with organizations that serve graduate students and postdocs and host lists of doctoral students. Note: The WISELI booklet also contains lists of directories of minority doctoral candidates.
- Example: The Southern Regional Education Board’s State Doctoral Scholars Program supports minority Ph.D. students who are pursuing higher education careers. HERC members receive a discount on access to the 1,000-student directory.
- Check the CV/resume data base to identify candidates.*
- Tweet hard-to-fill positions or institutional highlights to the UMW HERC homepage.
- Connect with job seekers on social media sites: .
- Meet potential candidates by representing HERC at a national conference. Contact email@example.com for details.
- Tap into the connections to veterans offered through the State of MN Veterans Employment Services. See this summary and the corresponding pamphlet, email template, and flyer to learn more about HERC's outreach to veterans.
- Monitor how many people are viewing and forwarding your position announcements.* Your institution may have a relationship with an advertising agency that can help you format your announcement in a way that will make the position sound more appealing or better highlight the advantages of working at your institution.
- Enhance your member profile on the HERC website to better highlight your institution.
- Example: Gustavus Adolphus College
Refer candidates to:
- Regional quality-of-life resources
- Dual-career resources for accompanying spouses/partners. Include HERC dual-career postcards in recruiting and offer materials.
If you have questions about HERC recruiting resources or suggestions for resources that should be included in this toolkit, send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 612-626-0775.
*If you are part of MnSCU, please contact Mary Everley, email@example.com or 612-626-0775, to obtain log-in access.
Follow HERC Nationally
Powered by HERC Leadership SmartBrief
- 25 May 2017 13:40:52 CDThttp://www.smartbrief.com/branded/2C38068E-E325-4E2A-945A-692BD5A52313/113CB452-2987-43C7-ADDD-D8C6E062656A
- 25 May 2017 13:40:52 CDThttp://www.smartbrief.com/branded/2C38068E-E325-4E2A-945A-692BD5A52313/F645D1FE-FC26-4BD8-9289-521BED73E019
- 25 May 2017 13:40:52 CDThttp://www.smartbrief.com/branded/2C38068E-E325-4E2A-945A-692BD5A52313/7403E132-41A5-42D9-8FDC-67771AD90AD7
- 25 May 2017 13:40:52 CDThttp://www.smartbrief.com/branded/2C38068E-E325-4E2A-945A-692BD5A52313/1214AB01-4799-4C8F-BA8D-550E0FA3A321
Featured Member Institutions