Vision, Mission, Programs & History
To promote equity and excellence in higher education recruitment worldwide.
HERC advances member institutions’ ability to recruit and retain the most diverse and talented workforce and to assist dual-career couples.
HERC’s mission is accomplished through the following:
- Comprehensive regional and national higher education jobs websites
- Member collaboration on facilitating dual-career employment and state-of-the art dual-career search technology
- Partnerships with associations, societies, and publications that serve women and minorities
- National advertising campaigns to promote the HERC websites
- Conference attendance to reach out to women and minority jobseekers with a special emphasis on STEM professionals
- Professional development opportunities for members, including regional member conferences and webinars
- HERC member discounts with key higher education vendors
The Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (HERC) was founded in the spring of 2000 by colleges and universities in Northern California that sought ways to collaborate on addressing dual-career and employment outreach challenges at their campuses. HERC was established as a member governed non-profit, 501(c)3 organization.
Based on HERC's success, since then, HERC’s have developed in 14 additional regions, representing over 600 institutions throughout the United States. A central coordinating office was established in 2007.
“Harvard belongs to HERC for many important reasons. It facilitates member collaboration and its powerful job search website is an invaluable dual-career tool for the spouses and partners of our faculty and senior administrator candidates.”Share Your HERC Story