Vision, Mission, Programs & History
To promote equity and excellence in higher education recruitment worldwide.
HERC advances member institutions’ ability to recruit and retain the most diverse and talented workforce and to assist dual-career couples.
HERC’s mission is accomplished through the following:
- Comprehensive regional and national higher education jobs websites
- Member collaboration on facilitating dual-career employment and state-of-the art dual-career search technology
- Partnerships with associations, societies, and publications that serve women and minorities
- National advertising campaigns to promote the HERC websites
- Conference attendance to reach out to women and minority jobseekers with a special emphasis on STEM professionals
- Professional development opportunities for members, including regional member conferences and webinars
- HERC member discounts with key higher education vendors
In 2013, the HERC Advisory Board established a Strategic Plan to advance the Vision and Mission of the Organization from 2014 through 2018.
The Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (HERC) was founded in the spring of 2000 by colleges and universities in Northern California that sought ways to collaborate on addressing dual-career and employment outreach challenges at their campuses. HERC was established as a member governed non-profit, 501(c)3 organization.
Based on HERC's success, since then, HERC’s have developed in 14 additional regions, representing over 600 institutions throughout the United States. A central coordinating office was established in 2007.
"Being a member of HERC expresses the institutional value of collaboration with other higher education institutions and shows candidates that we are willing to reach out to the whole person as a hire, not just for the position itself."Share Your HERC Story