Vision, Mission, Programs & History
To promote equity and excellence in higher education recruitment worldwide.
HERC advances member institutions’ ability to recruit and retain the most diverse and talented workforce and to assist dual-career couples.
HERC’s mission is accomplished through the following:
- Comprehensive regional and national higher education jobs websites
- Member collaboration on facilitating dual-career employment and state-of-the art dual-career search technology
- Partnerships with associations, societies, and publications that serve women and minorities
- National advertising campaigns to promote the HERC websites
- Conference attendance to reach out to women and minority jobseekers with a special emphasis on STEM professionals
- Professional development opportunities for members, including regional member conferences and webinars
- HERC member discounts with key higher education vendors
In 2013, the HERC Advisory Board established a Strategic Plan to advance the Vision and Mission of the Organization from 2014 through 2018.
The Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (HERC) was founded in the spring of 2000 by colleges and universities in Northern California that sought ways to collaborate on addressing dual-career and employment outreach challenges at their campuses. HERC was established as a member governed non-profit, 501(c)3 organization.
Based on HERC's success, since then, HERC’s have developed in 14 additional regions, representing over 600 institutions throughout the United States. A central coordinating office was established in 2007.
"Harvard University has been a supporter of HERC since its creation. To date we have measured the organization's effectiveness for us, and our membership has definitely returned more to the University when compared to our annual investment. In less than one year, Harvard saved nearly $35,000 in advertising discounts. In addition to recruiting some strong talent, we have collaborated with colleagues from peer institutions on a number of activities, including diversity-based forums, vendor negotiations, and membership meetings. HERC has also helped accompanying spouses and partners of faculty and administrators with their recruitment needs."Share Your HERC Story