The Dual-Career Job Search
Preparing for an academic job search can be a daunting task and especially stressful when there are two academic careers involved.
Research has also shown that the outcomes of a dual-career job search can directly affect employee success, quality of life, and influence the ability of women to advance in academia.
Research Shows Assisting Dual-Career Couples Key to Advancing Women in Academia
Although a dual-career job search can greatly influence the trajectory of either partner's career - studies have shown that dual-career hiring can play a large role in successfully hiring and advancing women. A Stanford University survey of 30,000 professors showed women in the academy more often face the dual-career issue than men because 40 percent of female tenure-track professors are married to other academics, compared to only 34 percent of men.
Another study by Worklife Law suggests that women scientists are far more likely than male scientists to be married to other scientists, and they recommend a dual-career hiring program for successful recruitment of women.
Assistance for Dual-Career Couples
Helping dual-career couples is a central part of HERC's mission. HERC provides tools for jobseekers and for institutions to systematically address dual-career challenges. HERC's work has been recognized by the American Council on Education, the American Association of University Professors, the American Psychological Association, Diverse: Issues in Higher Education, Stanford University's Clayman Institute for Gender Research and National Public Media's "Marketplace". Learn more about the HERC member institutions with dual-career campus programs.
Maximize Your Dual-Career Job Search
Here are a few steps to help you get started with your dual-career search:
1. Dual-Career Job Search
Using HERC's dual-career search, you can search for jobs that meet both you and your partner's job search criteria. You can also select the distance between jobs to ensure they are within a commutable distance.
2. Custom Job Alerts
Once you create a free account, you can turn your dual-career search into a customized job alert so you never miss an opportunity.
3. Institutions with Dual-Career Programs
Learn more about institutions with dual-career campus programs so you can find the best institutional fit for your unique situation.
4. Expert Career Advice
Explore HERC's comprehensive list of articles, research, studies, and links on the dual-career topic.
Explore HERC's career webinars for additional advice about preparing your resume and presenting yourself in interviews.
Powered by HERC Jobseeker SmartBrief
- When you can't seem to generate interest from employers despite having the necessary experience and skills, it may be time to work with a career coach, writes Karla Miller. "A career coach can help refine your resume and outreach messages and get more mileage out of your LinkedIn account -- for example, making yourself visible to well-connected recruiters and other professionals who can warm up cold contacts for you," Miller writes. The Washington Post (tiered subscription model) (10/19)20 Oct 2017 12:47:29 CDThttps://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/magazine/how-to-perfect-the-personal-pitch/2017/10/17/504b47c4-9ed5-11e7-8ea1-ed975285475e_story.html
- When it comes to work-life balance, there's no one size that fits all. You may be happier when you come to terms with the fact that you prefer juggling your roles throughout the day or blending your work activities with the rest of your life, writes Andy Molinsky. Psychology Today (10/14)20 Oct 2017 12:47:29 CDThttps://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/adaptation/201710/want-be-happier-ditch-the-work-life-balance-metaphor
- CNNMoney (10/19)20 Oct 2017 12:47:29 CDThttp://money.cnn.com/2017/10/19/pf/grad-school-worth-it/index.html
- Sen. Dick Durbin, D-Ill., and Sen. Al Franken, D-Minn., have introduced legislation that would make university adjunct instructors eligible for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program. The part-time status of contingent faculty currently makes them ineligible for the program. Diverse: Issues In Higher Education (10/19)20 Oct 2017 12:47:29 CDThttp://diverseeducation.com/article/103585/