The Dual-Career Job Search
Preparing for an academic job search can be a daunting task and especially stressful when there are two academic careers involved.
Research has also shown that the outcomes of a dual-career job search can directly affect employee success, quality of life, and influence the ability of women to advance in academia.
Research Shows Assisting Dual-Career Couples Key to Advancing Women in Academia
Although a dual-career job search can greatly influence the trajectory of either partner's career - studies have shown that dual-career hiring can play a large role in successfully hiring and advancing women. A Stanford University survey of 30,000 professors showed women in the academy more often face the dual-career issue than men because 40 percent of female tenure-track professors are married to other academics, compared to only 34 percent of men.
Another study by Worklife Law suggests that women scientists are far more likely than male scientists to be married to other scientists, and they recommend a dual-career hiring program for successful recruitment of women.
Assistance for Dual-Career Couples
Helping dual-career couples is a central part of HERC's mission. HERC provides tools for jobseekers and for institutions to systematically address dual-career challenges. HERC's work has been recognized by the American Council on Education, the American Association of University Professors, the American Psychological Association, Diverse: Issues in Higher Education, Stanford University's Clayman Institute for Gender Research and National Public Media's "Marketplace". Learn more about the HERC member institutions with dual-career campus programs.
Maximize Your Dual-Career Job Search
Here are a few steps to help you get started with your dual-career search:
1. Dual-Career Job Search
Using HERC's dual-career search, you can search for jobs that meet both you and your partner's job search criteria. You can also select the distance between jobs to ensure they are within a commutable distance.
2. Custom Job Alerts
Once you create a free account, you can turn your dual-career search into a customized job alert so you never miss an opportunity.
3. Institutions with Dual-Career Programs
Learn more about institutions with dual-career campus programs so you can find the best institutional fit for your unique situation.
4. Expert Career Advice
Explore HERC's comprehensive list of articles, research, studies, and links on the dual-career topic.
Explore HERC's career webinars for additional advice about preparing your resume and presenting yourself in interviews.
Powered by HERC Jobseeker SmartBrief
- The primary goal of asking a professional for an informational interview is to discover if a new career is the right fit and to develop a mutually beneficial relationship, writes career coach Tad Mayer. Interviewers should request advice on how to enter that career and learn how they can be helpful to their colleagues in return, he suggests. Ladders (8/17)18 Aug 2017 13:44:57 CDThttps://www.theladders.com/p/25610/informational-interviews-advice
- If you want to become a better networker, you have to develop your ability to engage in small talk, writes Peter Gasca. Practice by working on encouraging others to talk about themselves instead of getting on your phone when you're in public without anything else to do, Gasca writes. Inc. online (8/15)18 Aug 2017 13:44:57 CDThttps://www.inc.com/peter-gasca/this-lost-art-might-help-you-master-your-networkin.html
- Forbes (8/17)18 Aug 2017 13:44:57 CDThttps://www.forbes.com/sites/kathycaprino/2017/08/17/what-not-to-ask-in-an-initial-job-interview/#63de6a125dc7
- The hiring process currently takes an average of 23.8 days -- an increase from 2014, when the average was 22.9 days, according to Glassdoor. Average hiring times vary from region to region, but the difference between industries is more significant, says Glassdoor economist Andrew Chamberlain. USA Today (8/9)18 Aug 2017 13:44:57 CDThttps://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2017/08/09/its-taking-longer-than-ever-get-hired-glassdoor-survey-shows/551001001/